Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Let's be honest

There are times in our lives when we gain weight. For me, I tend to gain a lot of weight at these times. The freshman 15? I'll take 22. The holiday 5? I'll take 10. It's that tendency that I need to put to rest this time around. 

The first step in preventing those periods of weight gain is to identify them. So, here are a few:

Source: Lipmag
1) The freshman 15. I'd like to broaden this category for you. I graduated college a long time ago now (2007) and haven't been a freshman for 10 years. However, I've gained the freshman 15 a handful of times. The idea behind the freshman 15, I think, is that you've had a major life change where you are changing your routine and daily expectations. This can happen when you move, get new roommates (or get married), start a new job, lose a job, or many other big changes. 

2) The holidays. Maybe it's just the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin everywhere you go, but the holidays have an actual taste. And the easy access to treats, parties, and traditions make overindulging really easy. 

3) Pregnancy. Pregnancy should be the healthiest time of your life. The responsibility for growing another human being is a little overwhelming. When I was pregnant I gave up caffeine, artificial sweeteners, and all medication. However, something also happens where you feel that ice cream is a daily necessity. I didn't gain more than is recommended during my pregnancies, but I did gain more fat than I wish I had. Men - don't think you are immune, either. If your lady is pregnant, you'll find that you eat more, too.

4) Winter. I currently have the fortune to live in the San Francisco Bay Area in California, where my weather is pretty incredible year-round. But, I have lived in one of the harshest winters you can. I lived for 3.5 years in Fargo, ND. And you do not go outside (save for running too and from your car) for months on end. This makes regular walks or exercise very hard. Not to mention that biological need to store weight for the cold. Cold weather, post-holiday guilt, biology, and stuck-inside boredom can make winter weight gain a real problem. 

5) Celebrations. Maybe you are a lucky person who has one friend or family member with a birthday each month so there's only one day per month of celebratory splurging, but it seems that celebrations come in clusters. We tend to use celebrations as an excuse to overindulge. And there are also anniversaries, raises, date nights...

And how do we prevent weight gain during these dangerous periods? Have a plan. Yesterday's post on how to deal with weekends is actually a great reference on managing these periods as well. 

But, the best advice I have to give at this point (as I've fallen victim to these periods many-a-time) is to be honest.

Be honest with yourself: Have a big event or life change coming up? Want to splurge on a piece of pumpkin cheesecake to celebrate your new promotion? Okay - great. But, decide to do it and decide to do it once. No guilt. No shame. No blaming yourself later and feeling bad and starting the cycle of guilt eating. Just eat it. Enjoy it. But, be honest with yourself that you're going to do it. 

Is your goal to lose 2 pounds per week? Maybe you need to change that to 1 pound a week during the winter or in the midst of major life changes. Perhaps plan to sign up for a gym membership during the cold months when you can't exercise outside. But, don't pretend like you'll be 100% perfect every day. Be honest. 

Be honest with others: Tell people you are dieting. Call it whatever makes you comfortable (dieting, eating healthy, trying to lose some weight, giving up sugar, etc...), but tell people. Food is often the center of our celebrations and get-togethers. If you don't speak up, you'll find yourself in situation after situation of having to have so much willpower. Ask others to help you. Tell your friends, family, and even coworkers that you are trying to limit your calories and would appreciate a salad with dinner or you'd prefer not to go to the diner for lunch, you packed your own. Or when your friend suggests you meet for ice cream to connect, suggest frozen yogurt - or even better, a walk around the park. Let other people help you. And don't apologize. 

Which brings me to one of the big reasons I've started this blog (somewhat anonymously, I'm not posting it on my Facebook or personal sites) is because I want to be honest with you, internet friends. I want to find support in others (and provide support to others) who are struggling with maintaining their healthy selves and want to do that together. So, I can at least promise you honesty. So, when my next hard period comes, hopefully I'll be better equipped to honor myself and my goals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment